Winter Break Trip Joshua Tree
Wednesday, Jan 4, 2023 - 9:00 am through Thursday, Jan 12, 2023 - 9:00 am
On behalf of Hoofer Mountaineering, I am stoked to announce a secondary Winter Break 2023 trip to Joshua Tree National Park in California! Home to more than 8,000 highly-rated routes, Joshua Tree is recognized as one of the most legendary climbing destinations in the world!
Similarly to the HMC Spain Trip, this event is open for signup early in advance to ensure that attendees have enough preemptive time to schedule this trip, as well as book their flights in advance. Important information is as follows:
Timeline: January 4th, 2023 through January 12th, 2023
Capacity: 12 people including leaders (Ethan Seath + Claire Johnson)
Financial Break Down: (Per Person)
Flights → $330 (We will be flying into Palm Springs International Airport. This price is based off of a departure out of MSP Airport)
Camping → $21
Airbnb → $84
Food → $180 (We will be cooking)
Rental car → $110
Gas → $35
Total → $765
Down Payment: In order to ensure a spot on this trip, a $100 deposit will be due by November 6th. This deposit will go towards the $250 total cost of University dues that covers your housing, rental car, and gas payments for the duration of the trip. Flights, airport transit, checked luggage, and food will be coordinated outside of the University. Likewise, this deposit will be fully refundable until November 6th.
Checked Luggage: In addition to the facets listed above, we will need to get 12 people's worth of climbing gear to California whilst flying. In an ideal world, we can fit all the gear into 3-5 checked bags, which will cost roughly $15-30 a person. Note that the airline ticket includes a carry-on and personal item for everyone. If we can successfully pack light and squeeze more climbing gear elsewhere, the cost of checked bags will decrease.
- In order to sign up for this trip, you must be a member of Hoofer Mountaineering
- Attain a Top-rope rating through HMC
- Attend a Sport Climbing Clinic through HMC
- Submit a deposit via RecHub
- Attend the Joshua Tree Trip Logistical Meeting (more info on pre-trip meeting coming soon)
This trip will be predominantly focused on routes that cater to Sport or Top-rope climbing, hence the requrements listed. Furthermore, we will be hosting clinics and information sessions in the near future for those that would like to gain more knowledge prior to the trip.
Housing: We will be camping for the first 4 nights of the trip at Black Rock Campground in Joshua Tree National Park. Subsequent to that, we will be staying in a dainty little cottage (with a hot-tub!!!) for the duration of the trip. Attached below are some photo references of the campground as well as the AirBnB:
Pre-Trip Meeting: All further necessary information will be gone over at the Joshua Tree Pre-Trip Meeting. This will be required for all attendees as the information will be pivotal to the success of this trip. More information on the timing of said meeting will be sent out individually to all of those who have signed up via RecHub and payed their deposit.
That's all for now! There was a lot of content to digest, so please dont hesitate to reach out to me (email@example.com) if you have any further questions regarding this trip!!!! I'm hoping that we can make this one hell of trip!!!!
- Event Type
- Trip (off-site, ratings may be achieved)
- Accommodation Information
- Camping: Black Rock Campground in Joshua Tree National Park Airbnb: 6656 San Angelo Avenue, Joshua Tree, CA 92252 Airport: Palm Springs International Airport
- Driving or Travel Details
- Flights will be coordinated on an individual basis, as many folks will be home for the holidays. We will pick up 2 reserved fleet vehicles at the airport and will have them for the duration of the trip
- Food and Equipment Information
- Groceries will be figured out once we arrive at Joshua Tree. Attendees will be expected to bring their own climbing gear - this can be rented through HMC Gear Locker. Furthermore, we will gauge interest in how we should split up camping gear at the pre-trip meeting
- Trip Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- The $100 deposit for this trip will be fully refundable until November 6th, 2022
- Trip Purpose/Goals
- HAVE A FUN TIME CLIMBING ROCKS! Foster community! Gain knowledge on Sport Climbing!